Sunday, February 1, 2015

Night before Surgery

When I went to Seattle for my pre op appointment in January, the CT machine, that the surgeon uses to determine how much and what kind of work he wants to do, was not working properly. I had only a couple of hours that day before my flight departed for home, so we had to come up with a plan to get the images he needed. The only alternative we had was to have me arrive the night before surgery to meet the Dr. at his office so he could get the image he needed. I thought, No big deal. We will still have plenty of time to go out to get one last delicious meal before it gets too late. Not actually how it all happened.

Now funny thing about all of this, my surgery was scheduled for the day after the Super Bowl. And the Seattle Seahawks were playing in said football game on that Sunday afternoon that we rolled into their lovely little city.
Well let me tell you, .EVERYBODY was watching the big game! The guys at the car rental agency, the concierge at the hotel, and of course the bar and lobby had the game on multiple TVs. Though it made for easy driving through town, most of the restaurants were jammed with fans watching their team. (We wound up eating our meal in the hotel bar/restaurant in order to avoid the huge crowds everywhere.)

Not sure whether the surgeon is a Seahawks fan or not, but all of this made it very inconvenient for the Dr. to meet me at a reasonable hour for to get the x ray. Apparently he did intend on watching the game, so we settled on a time of 8 p.m.

At one point while waiting outside of his office in the chilly night air, I wondered whether I could handle the anxiety of doing all of this when surgery is merely a few short hours away. I had a chill slither up my spine as I watched the hands on the clock swing past 8 o'clock and move towards the quarter past mark. What if he didn't show up? What if we are waiting in the wrong spot? I tortured myself with such silly fear.
Dr. showed up just a little late, but it was all good. His RN had to walk him through the process of taking an CT scan since he doesn't usually do them, but other than that, it was ok.
My last meal consisted of a Sorrento Inn hearty grass fed beef burger, fries and a cold IPA from Pike's Place Brewery. Yum.

 We took these in the surgeon's office while he was fiddling with his Xray machine

These are the last profile photos I have of my pre surgery face. In the morning it will be transformed into an image I have yet to see. I feel positive that I will be happy and fully satisfied with the results.
See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment