Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Day 15 - First Ortho Appointment

 Two weeks, 1 day post op -  my first trip to see the orthodontist. Dr. H was happy to see me doing so well. The entire staff made me feel like a celebrity. Their encouragement and enthusiasm felt comforting at this juncture in my healing journey. He said my mouth looked great. Nice and clean. I have been doing my best to brush and rinse with the medicated mouthwash. I do have a "pink" front tooth. He sent a photo of it to Dr. B. Got an email from Dr. B and he says this happens, but it isn't seen very often. Happens when blood pressure forces blood into the area........ blah blah. Not sure all the specifics, but he says research shows that it will fade with time. I was glad to hear that.

My swelling has decreased the most on the right side. Left side still gives me muscle spasms by the end of the day. I had to ask Dr. B to prescribe me a muscle relaxer to help. He ordered me Soma, but after taking one and not even feeling any effects, I called my PCP and he prescribed me Flexeril. That seemed to do the trick.
The muscle spasms and sleeping are still my challenges. After talking and chewing all day, the left jaw muscle really aches. Sometimes it takes several hours of heat, ice, meds to finally get relief from the discomfort. It throbs all the way up into my ear like an ear ache.
My smile is still very tight. but each day gets better and better. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is not a "speedy" healing process. Slow and steady.  I saw a few friends the other day and they were perplexed that I still had numbness and aches in my face. Funny how people really don't comprehend just what a dramatic surgery this was. To expect healing from this surgery in two weeks is like expecting a broken leg to heal in two weeks. It just doesn't happen that way. The body has an amazing capacity to heal itself, but it definitely needs time and rest to do that.
I am still numb on my left cheek down to and across my chin. My chin feels like fire ants are stinging me. Or like Stinging Nettles.
Having to use wax to cover pokey areas of my surgical wire that is still in place. That's a good thing because it means I am getting feeling back inside of my mouth. Roof of mouth still numb as are upper gums.
 Fatigue is still greater than I would like, but I try not to fight it. After all, these chores and errands will all be waiting for me when I am better!
I have a 2 day training next week for my job, so I am hoping to rest and heal as much as possible before then.
Eating soft sandwiches with crusts cut off. Had pancake and scrambled eggs the other morning. I am not feeling deprived of food at all. I can eat a wide variety of foods, so that keeps me happy.
First Post op with DR. B in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment